Skip to main content
Reporting local issues

It's important that residents are vigilant and active members of the community. This section deals with how to report any issues.

Reporting Local Issues

Attention all drone users!

Check out the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) website for rules and regulations on drone use.

Find out what you can and can't do with a drone, and which areas to stay in.

Visit for more information.

Flying your drone around Bankstown Airport

Due to the location of Bankstown Airport, there is probably controlled airspace near you. This means you need to know and obey the rules around flying your drone in controlled airspace. 
They key rules that apply are: 

  • You cannot fly any type of drone over, or in, the approach and departure path of an airport runway
  • You cannot fly a drone that weighs more than 250 grams within 5.5 km of a controlled airport like Bankstown

You can check the location of controlled airspace using an easy-to-read map in a CASA-verified drone safety app. You can download an app FREE from

These rules ensure the safety of people both on the ground and in the sky. If you need more information – or to apply for an exemption, visit

Asbestos was used widely in the construction industry during the 1950s, '60s and '70s. Growing awareness regarding the dangers of asbestos led to it being totally banned in 2003. Renovators and homeowners working with fibro and asbestos must be especially careful, as asbestos particles can be harmful to your health.

Visit for more information on licensed removalists.


Concerns regarding asbestos at work sites should be reported to WorkC​over NSW​, as they are the authority for enforcement of the NSW Work Health an​d Safety Regulation 2011

Council looks after many roads and footpaths in our City, but some are maintained by Transport for NSW.

​​When footpaths and roads become dangerous or in need of repair, you should report them to us at the City of Canterbury Bankstown.


For more information, or to make a report, contact Council's Customer Service Centr​e on 9707 9000.​​

We all want to live in clean and green streets, which is why illegal dumping is a concern for both residents and Council. If you dump rubbish, the chances of getting caught are greater than ever. Councils Officers and residents across the area are working to find and report dumpers.  

If you see anyone dumping unwanted material on the streets, bushland or industrial areas, please report it.

Report illegal dumping to Council, online or by calling 9707 9000.

The Local Orders Policy assists Council in managing its responsibilities in regard to animal management, public health and environmental protection by providing the criteria that Council will take into consideration when determining whether to issue an Order pursuant to Section 124 of the Local Government Act 1993.

Neighbourhood noise such as power tools and loud music can be problematic, but there are steps you can take to resolve any problems that may arise. ​

Resolving the issue

Your first steps should always be speaking to your neighbour to see if you can work out a solution together. If that isn't  ​possible, or if the problem persists, you can take further action.

Next steps

Visit the Environment Protection Authority website for details of the law on neighbourhood issues. Their website details your legal rights and any restri​ctions, as well as their advice for seeking abatement orders.


To raise a noise issue to Council, ​contact our Customer Service Centre on 9707 9000.​

Unauthorised use of property includes:

  • Using a premises for a purpose which requires development consent without first obtaining development consent; and/or
  • Not complying with the conditions of a development consent. 
  • Illegal use will also not be tolerated.


For more information, or if you believe a property is being used for an illegal or unauthorised use,  contact our Customer Service Centre on 9707 9000.​

Council can investigate reports of vehicles (including boats and trailers) that appear to have been left unattended by their owner or are unregistered and parked in a public place.  However, vehicles on private property are managed by the land owner/occupier.

Before reporting an unattended vehicle to Council, it is recommended you check if the vehicle is registered online via the Service NSW website under 'Check a vehicle registration'. 

The new Public Spaces (Unattended Property) Act 2021 commenced on 1 November 2022.

These new laws revoke and replace the outdated Impounding Act 1993 to create stronger incentives for people to take responsibility for their property in public.

Council can investigate reports of items, including vehicles, shopping trolleys and other items that appear to have been left unattended in public places. Council, depending on the circumstances and outcome of the investigation, may take possession of these items.

Council will not enforce, issue penalties, or take possession of all unattended property in public. In responding to these complaints, Council must balance public safety and amenity with the available resources and competing priorities.


For more information, or to report an unattended vehicle, contact our Customer Service Centre on 9707 9000.​ ​

Residents are encouraged to report abandoned trolleys to the relevant businesses:

If you’d like to report something that’s not been mentioned here, or you’re not sure where to direct your issue, you can report it online using the below button:​

​You can also contact Council's Customer Service Centre ​on 9707 9000.