Read all about business and residential property rates, as well as how you can conveniently pay for your rates. Rates fees charges residents canterbury bankstown Pay My Rates Pay My Rates online - Find out all of the information you will need regarding rates for business and residential properties, as well as how you can conveniently pay for your rates.  

Important changes to our rates systems

The City of Canterbury Bankstown is making some important changes to improve the way we process your rates.​

To ensure you continue to receive your rates notice electronically; have access to view your notices online; and have the ability to update your email address in the future, you will need to create a Payreq MyBills account. To do this, visit https://go.payreq.com/customer#/payer/registration

When setting up your account, please make sure you use the same email address we have contacted you on.

If you do not wish to continue receiving your notices electronically, please advise us by return email, at council@cbcity.nsw.gov.au, with your property address details and current postal address.

If you have any questions, our would like further information, please call Council's Customer Service Team on 9707 9000.

Your rates

Your rates contribute to the provision of day-​to-day services, maintaining and building new facilities for the community, improving infrastructure and protecting the environment in the C​ity.​

Examples include:

  • Waste collection, recycling and street cleaning;
  • Local road upgrades;
  • Improvements to leisure and recreational facilities;
  • Improvements to library services; and
  • Town centre improvements.

Rates are calculated based on the land value of your property, and not the value of your premises. This value is determined by the NSW Valuer General (see NSW Valuer General Fact Sheet), and is usually reviewed every three years. If you own a strata title property, the land value of the entire site is divided by the unit entitlement (listed on your strata plan) to ascertain the land value for each unit.

Rates are calculated using a rate in the dollar determined and reviewed by Council each year. It is a formula based on land value and usage – business or residential. All land valuations and rates calculations are subject to a minimum amount.

Receiving your Rate and Instalment Notices

You can receive your notices one of two ways:

By mail​

Your notices will be sent by Council via Australia Post to your nominated mailing address. Please ensure that Council has your correct mailing address.

If you need to change your mailing address, please complete the 'Change of Address' form and email to council@cbcity.nsw.gov.au

​By Email

If you wish to register to receive notices via email click here to register or for existing users, log​in here.

Your rates and instalment notices can be sent via email. This option will also give you access to an online portal enabling you to check your notices at any time, at your convenience. There is no charge for this service. ​​

Please ensure you enter your rates account number as it appears on your rates/instalment notice.​

For more information, contact our Customer Service Centre on 9707 9000.

By BPayview

View your notices using internet banking. Check with your bank for further details.

When are rates due?​

Rates are levied each year for the period of 1 July to 30 June. You will receive a Rates/Instalment Notice four times a year, unless you pay the whole Rates for the year by the first due date – 31 August.​

Rates payments are due on 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May.​

Rates Path Freeze

The NSW Government has announced that ratepayers of Canterbury-Bankstown ​Council will not pay more rates than what they would have been levied under their former Council.

Forms and applications

Application for Direct Debit Payment of Rates 

Change in Categorisation for Rating Purposes Application Form 

Pensioner Concession Application Form 

Postponement of Rates and Charges Application Form 

Section 603 Certificate Application Form 

Arrangement Communication 

Change of Ratepayer Details 

Change of Address/Communication 

Pensioner Hardship Rate Relief Application 

Notice of Discontinuance

Stormwater Levy Exemption Application

Pensioner Agreement application to defer rates, charges and interest ​

Notice of Sale (attachment to Section 603)

Application for vacant ​land charge ​

More information

For more information, go to Council's Rates Freque​ntly Asked​ Questions page or call our Customer Service Centre on 9707 90​00.​