What I Need to Know
Have Your Say
Services & Support
Sustainability & Protection
Planning & Building
Investment & Industry
What We Are & Do
Where Interesting Happens
You are here
Self-care refers to doing activities which help maintain your physical, emotional and spiritual health. It is a commitment to look after yourself through helpful activities that protect your health during periods of stress. It is also important to take time out when you need it to reduce feelings of stress to better protect your mental health.
Do you engage in self-care practices? Think about what self-care practices you currently take part in and what activities work best for you.
Below are some areas of self-care which you could focus on. Remember, we are all beautifully unique, so it is important to choose activities that work for you.
Develop healthy physical habits.
Healthy eating, physical activity, and regular sleep can improve your physical and mental health.
It's also important to have frequent medical check-ups.
Emotional and spiritual wellbeing
Engage in activities you enjoy, acknowledge your own accomplishments and express your emotions in a healthy way.
Develop healthy relationships, make time for family and friends, schedule dates with your partner/spouse and ask for support.
A 'self-care plan' can become your valuable reminder for finding:
- Practical ways and activities that support your wellbeing;
- A trusted support person you can contact;
- Ways to look after yourself to get through difficult times; and
- People you can contact in an emergency.
Life In Mind Australia have a 'Self-Care Plan Guide' to help you learn about self-care. It can also help you create a plan that works for you. The guide is FREE. See it here.
If you or your friends need additional support, please reach out to the services below. Most are open 24/7:
• Lifeline: 13 11 14 (crisis and suicide prevention support)
• Link2Home: 1800 152 152 (for those experiencing homelessness)
• QLife Australia: 1800 184 527 (LGBTI peer support. Open daily 3pmmidnight)
• Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 (mental health support)
• Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467 (counselling for suicide and mental health)